My photo
1295 PARADISE HILL ROAD, CLARKSVILLE, TN 931.645.8785, United States
"WHERE PRAYER AND PRAISE TAKE YOU INTO HIS PRESENCE"

Friday, April 8, 2011

“A God in Crises?”

Psalm 121:1: “I will lift up mine eyes to the hills from whence cometh my help.” 2 My help comes from the Lord…”



Psalm 121 is called by many, “The Traveler’s Psalm” because it was sung by many of the travelers who journeyed up to Jerusalem to the annual feasts. There is a theological debate over the author of Psalm 121, but some high level commentaries agree that Psalm 121 was probably written by King Hezekiah during the time that the Assyrian Army was threatening Judea and Jerusalem. King Hezekiah’s special distinction, the thing that he was known for above and beyond all the other kings of Judea, was that he trusted God. Someone once said, “A faith that can’t be tested is a faith that can’t be trusted” and Hezekiah’s faith was put to the test when the Assyrians were on the march headed his way.



The fact that the Assyrians were about to attack in Hezekiah’s jurisdiction could have easily caused the king to panic. The Assyrians were a major force during Hezekiah’s reign as king. They had seized Samaria and tortured a great deal of the countrymen there. Many of the people in Jerusalem had relatives who’d come through that siege, but they also had loved ones who had been tortured to death, burned alive, and even staked on wood and left to die. So the Assyrians were not some pushover enemy that was going to bow down, but this enemy of Hezekiah’s was a ruthless one with a reputation of killing unmercifully.



As his faith faced his fear, the writer pinned, “I will lift up mine eyes to the hills from whence cometh my help.” Most Bible scholars agree that a more accurate rendering of this passage is, “I lift up my eyes to the hills—where does my help come from?”

During this 911 situation, the king concluded in the 1st part of verse 2, “My help comes from the Lord…”



The pressure points of life cause us to contemplate and internalize the question, “Who is the object of my faith?” My prayer for the body of Christ during this hour in which we live is that we can answer like Hezekiah (My help comes from the Lord…). It is only when we can look beyond our situations and circumstances and see our God as Lord (the One who rules, reigns, and superintends every situation in our lives) that we’ll have peace in the midst of life’s storms. The exhortation today is simple…trust God!



Let’s Pray: “Father, in the Name of Jesus, I pray that our faith will override the fears we face. Help us to trust You totally and completely, in Jesus’ Name, amen.”



Daily Confession:

Father, I thank You for making me the head and not the tail

Above only and not beneath

The lender and not the borrower

The conqueror and not the conquered



I thank You for giving me all things that pertain unto life and godliness

And for delivering my life from death and destruction

So that I shall live and not die to declare your works



I thank You that no sickness shall live in my body today

For by Your Stripes I'm healed

I confess that I will not be stressed, oppressed, or depressed

Because You're keeping me in perfect peace as my mind is stayed on Thee



I confess that there shall not be any lack in my life today

For my God shall supply all my needs according to His Riches in Glory by Christ Jesus

Thank You that all things are working together for my good

And that You always cause me to triumph



his is the day that you have made

I will rejoice and be glad in it

In Jesus, Name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment