My photo
1295 PARADISE HILL ROAD, CLARKSVILLE, TN 931.645.8785, United States
"WHERE PRAYER AND PRAISE TAKE YOU INTO HIS PRESENCE"

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Need to Read

"Give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine." (I Timothy 4:13, KJV)

I've found that the age-old saying that, "readers are leaders" is actually a true statement. While all readers aren’t leaders, I don’t know many productive leaders that don’t respect and embrace the value of reading. Research shows that there is a direct link between how much we read and how much we achieve in life. Whenever I'm around someone successful, one of the questions that I'll ask them is, "What are you reading?" Listed below are quotes that express the importance of reading:



"Every man who knows how to read has it in his power to magnify himself, to multiply the ways in which he exists, to make his life full, significant, and interesting." (Aldous Huxley)



"The only right way of learning the science of war is to read and reread the campaigns of the great generals. (Napoleon Bonaparte)



"At the end of the day, I am convinced that reading had been the most important skill I have ever acquired. Through books, I have sharpened my mind, expanded my context of reality, and set an ambitious course for my road ahead." (Adam Witty, entrepreneur)



"Better to read...books (by interesting people) than to talk with them, for their writing is more carefully thought out than their casual conversation could ever be." (Fred Smith)



"Employ your time improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall come easily by what others have labored hard for." (Socrates)



"Books were my pass to personal freedom. I learned to read at age three, and soon discovered there was a whole world to conquer that went beyond our farm in Mississippi." (Oprah Winfrey)



"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." (Sir Richard Steele)



"Reading sweeps the cobwebs away. It enhances thinking. It stretches and strains our mental muscles. It clobbers our brittle, narrow, intolerant opinions with new ideas and strong facts. It stimulates growing up instead of growing old." (Chuck Swindoll)



"A mind is a terrible thing to waste." (United Negro College Fund)



The apostle Paul, a man who was very learned in the things of God, expressed to his son in the ministry, Timothy, the necessity to read. Most of us know his admonishment to, “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”(2 Timothy 2:15, KJV) But in his first epistle, he commanded Timothy to, "Give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine." (I Timothy 4:13, KJV) The exhortation today is a bit different...read, read, and read some more!!!!

Let’s Pray: “Father, help us to embrace the value of reading, especially Your Word, in Jesus’ Name, amen!”

Thought from the Heart: I’m disturbed because there are educational experts who are concerned about the decline of reading in our nation. I just read one of the captions on Good Morning America that one-half of our children’s time is monopolized by media—namely television, ipods, and cell phones. This summer, give yourselves and your children one of the most important gifts that you can ever give them…a book list and a library card!

Daily Confession:

Father, I thank You for making me the head and not the tail

Above only and not beneath

The lender and not the borrower

The conqueror and not the conquered



I thank You for giving me all things that pertain unto life and godliness

And for delivering my life from death and destruction

So that I shall live and not die to declare your works



I thank You that no sickness shall live in my body

For by Your Stripes I'm healed

I confess that I will not be stressed, oppressed, or depressed

Because You're keeping me in perfect peace as my mind is stayed on Thee



I confess that I will not be distracted, disorganized, or in disarray,

but I will be diligent to what God has called me to do



I confess that there shall not be any lack in my life

For my God shall supply all my needs according to His Riches in Glory by Christ Jesus

Thank You that all things are working together for my good

And that You always cause me to triumph



This is the day that you have made

I will rejoice and be glad in it

In Jesus, Name, amen

No comments:

Post a Comment